House painting tip number 1: Beautiful wallpaper adds an extra-special touch, whilst out-of-date, peeling wallpaper can bring the value and look of your home, or business, right down. If you’ve ever tried to remove wallpaper yourself, you’ll know that it’s a messy and time-consuming job. That’s why at Oliver Painting Ottawa, we do it for you quickly and professionally, simply contact us for a free quote.
Wallpaper can be removed the good old-fashioned way (with your bare hands and water), with a chemical solution, or with steam. If you do decide to forsake a professional painting company and take the do-it-yourself route, here are some helpful tips for the water method:
- Make sure you don’t damage your wall in the process.
- Keep the surrounding areas from getting damaged by taping plastic to the skirting and floor.
- Turn off the power.
- Take off all light switch and plug covers.
The hard part
- Use a putty knife to lift off an edge (try a corner first) and then pull the paper off.
- Remove the top layer but try and leave the backing on.
- Wet the backing with a sponge or mop – the water needs to be left for a while to be absorbed. Take note: the water needs to be as hot as you can handle.
- Now you can start to scrape off the backing. Use a spatula or a putty knife for this job ensuring it has rounded edges so as to not make holes in your wall.
- You may need to spray on a wallpaper solvent on any stubborn sections.
- Ensure you get every last inch of backing off if you want a smooth and clean result.
- Clean the wall with water.
Patch and shine
- Now it’s time to patch and repair your sparkly, clean walls.
- Fill up any holes and sandpaper the whole area.
Your wall is now ready for a fresh coat of paint, or it can even be wallpapered with an updated look.
For more information, Contact Oliver Painting Ottawa today.